Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Plunge

When I first suggested to Francesca that she take art classes at RISD this summer instead of at our local arts center, she was hesitant. Even with me along, it was going to be a huge step outside of her comfort zone. But with encouragement from me, her big sister and her art teacher, she finally agreed to go. I started to save towards the trip, an experience I was thinking of as an investment in Francesca's education, both in the classroom and in life.
Now that our adventure in Providence is over, I can say for sure that the experience was invaluable for Francesca. It pushed her outside of her comfort zone and gave her new confidence in her artistic talent and her ability to excel as an art student. All of us, no matter how young or old, must go outside of our comfort zones in order to grow. As a parent, it was extremely satisfying to watch that growth occur before my eyes.
Expose your children to as much as you can. Encourage them to stretch and dare them to challenge themselves. Start young. Helping children find the courage to take the plunge is one of the most important qualities a parent can pass on.

No comments: