Sunday, June 3, 2007

Growing Pains

I wanted to take time to answer a question I get asked often,
"Are you ever going to open another retail store?"

For now, the answer is no. For those of you who are new to Rosanna, I did have a retail store in Seattle for six years that we recently closed at the end of this January. We opened in 2001 in a remodeled gas station in the Wedgewood neighborhood, and then three years later, moved to the University Village outdoor shopping center.

Although I miss the intimate customer interactions that came with owning a retail store, I found that there simply aren't enough hours in my day to properly take care of a store, which, in and of itself, is a full time job.

I recently received this lovely email from a customer and admirer of Rosanna in New York City.

"I wish Rosanna would consider an outpost in New York City that not only sells your product but also does place settings in private homes for small parties. I’m sure there are caterers galore who would partner with you. There are also quite a few small spaces for rent right now both in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

I feel strongly that an outlet here plus a limited party business could possibly push your exposure along even further. I don’t think people realize how much fun your entire line is- or even that Rosanna is an ongoing, developing company- because they see things individually at department stores or in print, and don’t know that there is a cohesive, inventive, and far-ranging Rosanna line. I know that you’re doing well as you are, but the East Coast is waiting!"

I wanted to thank Deborah Gimelson for her kind words and great enthusiasm; this kind of feedback is always much appreciated.

As those of you who own a retail store know that it involves a huge amount of energy, care, attention to detail, and performance. Because we're working on some new and very cool projects as well as expanding our international business (I'll make sure to keep you updated), I realized that sometimes you have to know when your plate is too full. Unfortunately, a physical retail store won't be opening in the near future, but in the meantime, there is always our online retail store with shopping available 24 hours a day!






www.rosannainc.com

No comments: