Monday, May 24, 2010

What I Learned From My Daughter...A Voyage From Childhood to Graduation From Brown University

I am very excited. On Thursday we are flying to Providence, Rhode Island to see my oldest daughter Alessandra graduate from Brown University with a Bachelor of Arts in English. She is a creative nonfiction writer who wrote a thesis on style in nonfiction writing, and will graduate with honors. Needless to say, I am very, very proud of her.

Motherhood has been full of wonderful surprises for me. When I gave birth to Alessandra 22 years ago, I had no idea that my child would teach me as I raised her! What a great boon that we, as parents, learn and go new places through the endeavors of our children.

Raising Alessandra has been an amazing journey. I’ve watched her academic achievements grow more impressive with each year of her life, and taken such delight in watching her interests grow, an occasionally take me to places I’d never traveled—like Oklahoma City for the national mock trial championship competition. I had been a lucky spectator at countless plays from 6th-12th grade in which Alessandra had starring roles, and later watched plays Alessandra directed at university. I’ve reveled in her prose, and spent time with her friends, vivacious young adults full of promise and potential who reinvigorate and inspire me.

This moment is both a time for celebration and a time for reflection. As I think back, all I can see now is a little curly-headed blur streaking across my memory. Clearly, Alessandra’s energy as toddler was an early sign of the dynamic young woman she has become today. I am so excited to see where she will run next.



www.rosannainc.com

No comments: